1 large head broccoli
4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
11/2- 2 litres vegetable or chicken stock
1 large onion, chopped
Knob of butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
Handful of parsley
Salt and black pepper
This heartsome broccoli soup recipe from Wee Buns Cookery School is a warming bowl of goodness best enjoyed with some delicious homemade bread smothered with real butter.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan with the olive oil, add the onion and garlic and potatoes and cook on a gentle heat until the onion is soft and cooked, stir regularly.
- Wash the broccoli, cut the stalk off, peel and cut into chunks, cut the florets into smaller pieces.
- Add the stalk to the onion and potato and cook gently for another 5 minutes.
- Add the hot stock, bring to the boil and simmer gently until the potato is cooked through.
- Add the broccoli florets, continue cooking on a medium/high heat for 4-5 minutes until the broccoli is cooked.
- If using, add the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Liquidise and taste to check the seasoning and serve.