This classic apple and cinnamon crumble recipe has been given an autumnal twist by adding hazelnuts to the mix. This gives the crumble a lovely texture. Serve with cream, ice cream or custard.
1 kg (5-6 medium) Bramley apples
75g soft brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
175g self-raising flour, sifted
35g toasted blanched hazelnuts, chopped roughly
90g Demerara sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
- Lightly butter a 1.1litre capacity pie dish
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F
- Peel and core the apples and cut in slices.
- Place in a bowl with the soft brown sugar and cinnamon and toss together and then put in the pie dish.
- To make the crumble, rub the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs, add the sugar, cinnamon and hazelnuts.
- Sprinkle over the apple and bake for 30-45minutes or until the topping is cooked and golden.
- Serve with cream, ice-cream or custard.