My Classic Christmas Cake recipe makes 1 x 7” square cake or an 8” round cake.
Before you start line the tin bottom and sides with greasproof paper and wrap a layer of brown paper round the outside of the tin. This helps protect it while in the oven for a long time.
8 oz sultanas
8 oz raisins
2 oz glace cherries , rinsed, dried and chopped
2 oz candied peel, chopped finely
2 oz almonds, ground
1 tablespoon treacle
1 orange , grated zest
1 lemon, grated zest
3 tablespoons Brandy
8 oz plain flour
8 oz butter
8oz light brown sugar pinch salt
½ teaspoon mixed spice
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 large eggs or 5 medium
3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 140C
- Begin the day before by combining the sultanas, raisins and currants, mixed peel and cherries in a bowl and add the Brandy and treacle and leave overnight for the fruit to plump up.
- In a food mixer beat the butter ( which must be soft / room temperature ) with the sugar until the mixture looks light and fluffy , about 5 minutes.
- Then start adding the eggs one at a time, ensuring each egg has been incorporated before adding the next. Add the ground almonds before adding the last egg.
- Sift the flour into the egg mixture and fold in.
- Then add the dried fruit and spices and fold in also.
- If the mixture seems a bit stiff , fold in the milk one tablespoon at a time until the mixture is lighter.
- Spoon into the tin , level the surface and make a dip in the centre and cook for 4 – 4 ½ hours until nicely golden and a skewer comes out clean.
- Pour over more Brandy when warm if desired.
- Cool on a rack and then wrap well in greasproof paper and tin foil until ready to use.