This is my favourite Biscotti recipe. This classic Italian biscuit is perfect served after dinner with a black coffee or tea, or a glass of dessert wine.
425g plain flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
335 g caster sugar
100g hazelnuts ( blanched )
100g almonds ( blanched ) roughly chopped
3 eggs and 2 yolks
1 orange , zest only
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Before you start, preheat the oven to 160C / 140C fan and line two trays with baking paper
- Place the hazelnuts on a tray roast for 5 – 10 minutes until beginning to go golden. Remove and chop roughly when cool enough.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and soda into a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter then add the sugar, salt, nuts, and orange zest.
- In a little bowl whisk the egg yolks and whole egg together, add the vanilla.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, add the eggs and mix together using a wooden spoon, then use your hand to bring the mixture together. It should not be too wet.
- Divide into two or three portions and on a lightly floured surface, roll into a small log shape.
- Place on the baking tray and put in the oven.
- After about 10 – 15 minutes when the biscotti has expanded a lot, turn the oven up to180C / 160C fan and cook for another 15 – 20 minutes until golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Slide ( do not lift ) onto a board and using a serrated knife cut across the log into individual biscotti.
- Put these back on the baking tray and bake again for about 10 minutes or until golden on each side. Be careful not to over cook.