A perfect cake for a tea party or any occasion . One cake sliced up goes a long way. The poppyseeds and lemon syrup keep the cake moist while the tangy lemon icing adds sharpness.
8oz butter ( soft )
8oz caster sugar
8oz self raising flour
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
2 lemons zest only
50g caster sugar
200g icing sugar
1 loaf tin 27cm x 9cm lined
- Preheat oven to 180C / 160C fan
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the zest of two lemons.
- Then beat in the eggs one at a time making sure each one is throughly combined before adding the next.
- Sift in the flour and fold in gently using a large metal spoon.
- Fold in the poppy seeds and spoon the mixture into the cake tin.
- Bake for about 45 – 60 minutes or until springy on top and a skewer comes out clean
- Meanwhile make the syrup by dissolving the sugar and water together and then add lemon juice to taste. It should taste quite lemony.
- Pour over about 2 tablespoons of the the lemon syrup and leave to cool.
- To make the icing mix the icing sugar with lemon juice until you have a nice icing consistency.
- Spread generously over the top and leave to set.