This is a classic meringue recipe. I make these generally in little bite size meringues . Filled with whipped double cream they are always a crowd pleaser.
Makes 50 small meringue halves
3 large egg whites
6 oz/175g caster sugar
300ml double cream to fill
- Preheat oven to 120C
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large, clean bowl (they will not whisk well if the bowl is not spotless), or the bowl of a food mixer.
- Whisk until they form stiff peaks and then whisk in the sugar a tablespoonful at a time until stiff and glossy.
- Either use a spoon or piping bag to make smallish blobs on the baking tray.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45-60 minutes, the meringues should easily lift off the paper.
- When cool, sandwich together with whipped double cream.
- For chocolate meringues, lightly fold in ½ tablespoon of cocoa powder when the mixture is stiff and glossy.