This is a soup that requires some time but is so delicious and nutritious it’s well worth the effort. Just the thing for a cold day, it’s a very hearty soup and a meal in itself.
serves 6 – 8
500g Savoy cabbage or cavolo nero
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 red onions, finely chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 head of celery, finely chopped
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tin borlotti beans, drain and rinse
1 tin plum tomatoes
500ml -1 litre water
Salt and pepper
- Warm a little olive oil in a large pan, add the chopped onion, celery, carrot, garlic and the chilli, season with salt and pepper and cook gently until soft.
- Meanwhile bring a large pan of water to the boil, add a pinch of salt.
- Wash the cabbage and remove the stalks, if using savoy shred the leaves, cook the cabbage in the boiling water for 4-5 minutes until just cooked.
- Drain, keeping the water and chop roughly.
- If using cavolo nero, cook until tender, strain and chop finely.
- When the vegetables are soft add the tomatoes and cook another 15 minutes, then add the beans and 500ml of water and simmer for another 15 minutes, then add the cabbage and more water if necessary.
- Taste to check the seasoning and serve with a drizzle of good oil and freshly grated parmesan on top.