Rocket, Beetroot & Feta Salad
I love this Beetroot & Feta salad at any time of the year. It’s super nutritious and delicious.
- 4 medium sized (or 8 small) beetroot roasted until tender
- A few good handfuls of rocket or mixed leaves
- Small handful fresh mint leaves (optional)
- 200g feta cheese crumbled
For the dressing
- 3 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
- 1 /2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
Method- Beetroot & Feta Salad
- To roast the beetroot, first wash it well and trim the leaves right down. Place in a shallow roasting tray with a good splash of water a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper and a few sprigs of thyme if you have it.
- Cover and seal with foil and then roast until tender. The time depends on your beetroot, anything from 20 to 40 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, peel the beetroot and cut it into chunks. Place in a small bowl, season with salt and pepper, and about 1 tablespoon of the dressing, and toss well.
- Put the salad leaves and mint in a large bowl or serving dish, add enough dressing to coat the leaves, and toss well. Scatter the beetroot over the top and then sprinkle the feta over. Serve immediately.
Beetroot has a very earthy flavour and works really well in salads with a sharp cheese like feta. It is a powerhouse of nutrients and locally grown beetroot is available here for much of the year. I like to eat it as often as possible.
You could also add some cooked lentils to this salad for extra protein.
Find more seasonal recipe inspiration on the Recipes page.