Classic Italian Biscotti
What you’ll need
Two trays lined with baking paper
- 425g plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 335g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 100g hazelnuts (blanched)
- 100g almonds (blanched) roughly chopped
- 60g butter
- 3 eggs and 2 yolks
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160C / 140C fan.
- Place the hazelnuts on a tray roast for 5 – 10 minutes until beginning to go golden. Remove and chop roughly when cool enough.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and soda into a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter then add the sugar, salt, nuts, and orange zest.
- In a little bowl whisk the egg yolks and whole egg together, add the vanilla.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, add the eggs and mix together using a wooden spoon, then use your hand to bring the mixture together. It should not be too wet.
- Divide into two or three portions and on a lightly floured surface, roll into a small log shape.
- Place on the baking tray and put in the oven.
- After about 10 – 15 minutes when the biscotti has expanded a lot, turn the oven up to180C / 160C fan and cook for another 15 – 20 minutes until golden.
- emove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Slide ( do not lift ) onto a board and using a serrated knife cut across the log into individual biscotti.
- Put these back on the baking tray and bake again for about 10 minutes or until golden on each side. Be careful not to over cook.