Traditional Buttermilk Pancakes
What you’ll need
Non stick frying pan.
- 250g Plain flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 25g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 300ml buttermilk
- Pinch salt
- Sieve the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and add the sugar and salt and mix in.
- Make a well in the bottom and add the egg and most but not all of the milk and whisk together until the batter is smooth and has a dropping consistency. Add more of the milk if required. Do NOT over mix.
- Heat a non-stick pan or griddle and grease with a little butter then for each pancake drop 1 large tablespoon of the batter onto the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on one side before turning over. They are ready to turn when the bubbles start to burst.
- Turn over and cook until golden on the other side.
- Serve warm with your choice of topping.
- These will keep for a few days and are great toasted.
For banana buttermilk pancakes, add a large mashed banana to the batter and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon if you like and cook as above.