Chocolate Fairy Cakes
These chocolate fairy cakes decorated with chocolate buttercream and mini chocolate eggs are a lovely Easter treat.
Servings: Makes approx 24 buns
Cooking time: 10 – 15 minutes
What you’ll need
- 2 x 12 bun tins and bun papers
- 110g self raising flour
- 15g cocoa powder
- 125g soft butter (must be very soft)
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs medium
- Mini Eggs (to decorate)
Chocolate Butter Cream
- 4 oz butter ( soft )
- 4 oz icing sugar sifted
- 2 oz dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoons double cream
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl, add the sugar, butter and eggs
- Then using an electric hand whisk , whisk to combine well.
- The mixture should be soft enough to fall easily off the spoon. (Do not over mix).
- Spoon into bun cases, no more than half fill and cook for approximately 10 – 15 minutes until firm and springs back.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- For the buttercream – Melt the chocolate over a little pan of simmering water, do not let the bowl touch the water or the chocolate will burn. When melted stir in the cream and allow to cool a little. Meanwhile beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy then add the chocolate and beat again.
- Decorate with the buttercream using a spoon or a piping bag and add a few mini eggs to finish.