Chocolate Layer Cake
- 7oz self-raising flour
- 1oz cocoa powder
- 8oz very soft butter
- 8oz caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate Ganache Buttercream
- 8oz soft butter
- 5oz good quality dark chocolate
- 125ml double cream
- 8oz icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat oven to 180C and line and butter 2 x 8 inch sandwich tins.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Add the butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla and using an electric whisk, beat until well combined.
- Divide between the two tins and level out.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked (should feel firm and spring back in the centre).
- Remove from oven and after about 5 minutes, remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, gently melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow to cool slightly. Add the cream and mix in.
- Meanwhile beat the butter and icing sugar until fluffy and smooth, ( this will take at least 5 minutes) then add the chocolate mixture and beat again until smooth.
- Slice each cake in half and spread the butter cream between the layers and on top.