Servings: Makes approximately 24 buns
What you’ll need
2 x 12 bun tins and bun papers.
- 125g self raising flour ( or 125g plain flour and ½ teaspoon baking powder)
- 125g soft butter (must be very soft)
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs medium or large
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or paste)
- 200g Icing sugar sifted
- Hot water from a boiled kettle
- Food colouring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C or 160C fan.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl, add the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla.
- Then using an electric hand whisk, whisk to combine well.
- The mixture should be soft enough to fall easily off the spoon. (Do not over mix)
- Spoon into bun cases, no more than half fill and cook for approximately 10 – 15 minutes until light golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and ice.
- Glaće Icing – Sieve the sugar into a small bowl and add a little of the hot water at a time and using a spoon mix until smooth and the right consistency, it should have the consistency of double cream. Add a little food colouring if required.