This is an easy and delicious soda bread made with treacle and Guinness which give it that distinctive dark crumb and lovely flavour. Prefect to celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day.
- 200g wholemeal flour
- 160g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 100ml Guinness
- 200ml buttermilk
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 100g treacle
- Oat flakes for topping
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Grease the loaf tin well with a little oil.
- Sieve the plain flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
- Then add in the wholemeal flour, salt and sugar
- Whisk together the buttermilk oil and treacle and pour into the dry ingredients.
- whisk together until just combined. The mixture should be wet.
- Pour into the bread tin.
- Scatter some oat flakes on top .
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until firm.
- You may have to turn the oven down to 180°C if the bread is getting too dark.