Leek and Potato Soup
Perfect for a cold winter day, I use local leeks and Maris Piper potatoes for this delicious soup recipe and either home made chicken stock or else just water.
Servings: 6 – 8
What you’ll need
Heavy based saucepan
- 400g (3 or 4) medium leeks
- 2 sticks celery (optional)
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 3 – 4 pints water or stock (chicken or vegetable)
- knob butter
- Heat the stock in a separate pan.
- Trim the leeks, removing the coarse outer leaves, wash very well and slice thinly.
- Wash and chop the celery.
- In a heavy based pan, heat a little olive oil, add the butter, onions, celery and garlic and a little salt and pepper and cook slowly until the onions soften, at least 10 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Add the leeks and continue to cook for another 5 – 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the hot stock, enough to cover the vegetables and simmer gently for another 15 minutes or so until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Liquidise, add more stock if necessary.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if need be.
Keeps well in the fridge for a few days or freeze for up to three months.