These Mince Pies literally melt in your mouth with deliciousness. I make them with a rich shortcrust pastry and homemade mince meat.
Ingredients – Mince Pies
- 8oz plain flour
- 4 ½ oz butter
- 1 teaspoon icing sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 – 5 tablespoons cold water
- Mincemeat 400g
- 1 egg yolk beaten with a little milk
- Makes 2 dozen mince pies
- To make the pastry, sift the flour, sugar and salt into a wide mixing bowl, rub in the butter until incorporated.
- Then mix the egg yolk with the cold water and add enough so that the dough comes together and leaves the bowl clean. You may need more cold water.
- Divide the dough in two and wrap in cling film and rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- On a floured surface roll the pastry out almost as thin as possible.
- For the bases use a round cutter 7cm in diameter.
- For the tops, use a star cutter 6cm wide or a round cutter 6cm in diameter.
- Using a bun tray, grease well if necessary and line with the larger rounds of pastry. Put a generous teaspoon of mincemeat in each, dampen the edges of the smaller rounds with water and place the top on, press lightly to seal.
- Brush the tops with the egg wash and bake in the oven for 20 -25 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool a little and sift a little icing over before serving.
I make my own mince meat but a good shop-bought version will work well too. You can freeze these uncooked or cooked.
For more Christmas Recipes see my Recipes here.