Top Tips For Successful Meringue Making
- Measure all ingredients accurately. One egg white weighs approximately 25g.
- Make sure there is no trace of egg yolk in the whites.
- Only start adding the sugar after the egg whites have reached stiff peak, otherwise the mixture will be too soft.
- Do not over beat once the sugar is added. The mixture should be stiff peak and glossy.
- All equipment should be spotlessly clean.
- Egg whites a few days old are better then really fresh ones.
- The mixture needs to be whisked to very stiff peak. At least 10 minutes.
- The oven needs to be preheated and the tins lined with baking paper so that the meringues can go into the oven immediately.
- Meringues are cooked when they lift off the baking paper easily.
- Cooking times depend on the size.
- Ideally they can cool best in the oven, turned off after cooking.
- If the meringues start to weep they were cooked for too long or at too high a temperature.
- Meringues will keep well in a dry airtight container for up to two weeks.