- 4 large egg whites at room temperature
- 250g caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Small pinch salt
- 350 ml double cream, whipped with 1 dessertspoon of icing sugar
- Seasonal fruit, strawberries, raspberries or blueberries in summer, mango, passion fruit or poached pears in winter
- Preheat oven to 180C / 160C fan
- Line a tray with baking paper and draw a 20-23cm circle on the paper.
- Using a food mixer (make sure it is spotlessly clean and dry) or hand-held whisk, whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until just frothy.
- Then whisk in the sugar one-third at a time and beat until the meringue is stiff and shiny. This can take at least 5 minutes.
- Sift in the cornflour, add the vinegar and vanilla and fold all in gently.
- Spoon onto the tray and spread into a circle. Keep the mix high, it will spread a lot.
- Place in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 150C / 130C fan .
- Cook for 1 ¼ hours.
- Turn the oven off and leave it to cool in the oven. It should lift easily off the paper when cooked.
- When cold, transfer to a plate and top with the cream and fruit.
- Unfilled Pavlova will keep well for a few days in airtight container.
1 egg white is equivalent to 1 fluid oz.