Pear and Cinnamon Scones
Servings: Makes 10 – 12 small scones
What you’ll need
Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper or dust with flour.
- 350g Soda bread flour or self raising flour
- 60g Butter at room temperature
- 70g soft brown or caster sugar
- 2 small eggs
- 150 – 300ml buttermilk
- 1 pear, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon Method Preheat oven to 200C Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper or dust with flour. Sift the flour into a large bowl and then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Peel and finely chop the pear and add to the flour along with the cinnamon and sugar, mix all together.
- Whisk the egg with about half of the buttermilk, make a well in the flour and add this mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon or your hand bring the mixture together, adding more buttermilk if necessary.
- You want a soft dough, not too wet or too dry.
- Turn out onto a well-floured surface and very gently knead (just bringing the mixture together without really applying pressure) a few times until you have a smooth ball when you turn it over.
- Roll out just a little until approximately the depth of the cutter. About 1 inch. I use a small cutter for these, you could use a knife instead.
- Then cut out, place on the baking tray, brush the tops with some buttermilk and dust with flour, a sprinkle of flaked almonds and cinnamon.
- Bake on the top shelf for 10-12 minutes until golden and well risen.