Slow Cooked Red Cabbage with Apples
This Braised Red Cabbage with Apples recipe is delicious with Roast Pork, Roast Beef and goes particularly with Roast Goose or Duck. It is sweet with the apples and the redcurrant jelly. Look out for red cabbages in the winter months.
Servings: 6 – 8
Cooking time: 1 hour
What you’ll need
Heavy based saucepan and lid.
- 1 medium-sized red cabbage
- 120ml water
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Bramley apple
- 4 tablespoons red currant jelly
Method – Braised Red Cabbage
- Remove any damaged outer leaves from the cabbage. Cut in quarters, remove the core and finely slice across. Either with a knife or in a food processor.
- Put cabbage in a heavy based pan or casserole with the water and bring to the boil, add the salt and pepper and 2 tablespoons of the red currant jelly.
- Peel and core the apple, cut in quarters and set on top of the cabbage.
- Cover with a lid and cook very gently until tender. You can cook it on the oven at 150°C on on the lowest heat on the stovetop.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of redcurrant jelly.
Notes – Braised Red Cabbage
Keeps well and reheats well, so can be made in advance.
For more seasonal cooking inspiration join us for one of our seasonal cooking Classes