Spring Green Soup
Servings: Serves 6 – 8
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 leeks, roughly chopped
- 2 small head of celery, chopped
- 1 medium potato peeled and chopped in small cubes
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small bags of spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Water (approx 1.5L )
- Heat a heavy based saucepan and add the olive oil then the chopped onion and garlic. Sauté gently. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Meanwhile wash and chop the celery and then add to the onions.
- Wash the leeks really well and when the celery, onion mixture is well cooked down (soft and a little bit caramelised) add the leeks and potato to the pan and continue to cook gently until softened a bit about 10 minutes or so.
- Add another pinch of salt then add 1.2 litres of water ( you may need to add more later ) and simmer gently until the potatoes are cooked through. About 20-30 minutes.
- Add more water if need be.
- Add the spinach at the very end (no need to cook it as such) and liquidise until smooth, in a food mixer if you have one. It will result in a smoother finish.
- Taste and check the seasoning. This is very important ! It may need more salt than you think because there is no stock being used.