Cooking time: 1 hour
What you’ll need
2 x 1lb loaf tins lined or 1 x 2lb loaf tin lined
- 330ml / ½ pint milk
- 2 level teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 350g / 12 oz plain flour
- 2 level teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 level teaspoons ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 225g / 8oz soft dark brown sugar
- 225g / 8oz butter
- 100g / 4oz golden syrup
- 110g / 4oz treacle
- 2 eggs
- 4 balls stem ginger (finely chopped)
Oven 160 fan / 180 C
- Preheat the oven and line your tins.
- Warm the milk until just warm and leave to sit.
- Put the butter, sugar, treacle and golden syrup in a small pan and melt over a gentle heat. Stir to combine.
- Sieve the flour into a large bowl and add the spices and a pinch of salt.
- Add the bicarbonate of soda to the warm milk and whisk until dissolved.
- Pour the melted butter mixture into the flour and mix together well.
- Add the eggs and mix in.
- Then add the warm milk and mix together and finally add the chopped ginger and stir in.
- Pour into the prepared tin, you can fill it almost to the top but leave a little room . There may be some extra mixture left over.
- Bake for 1 hour until it springs back to the touch and / or a skewer comes out clean.
Notes Sticky Gingerbread
You can substitute the dark brown sugar with light brown sugar but your cake will not be as dark.
Keeps really well and is delicious buttered.