Servings: Serves 4 – 6
- 800g strawberries, hulled
- 1 whole lemon
- 225g caster sugar
- 300ml (½ pint) water
- Put the sugar and water in a small pan, dissolve the sugar, then boil for 7 – 10 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl to cool.
- Wash the lemon well, cut in pieces and remove any pips, then put it in a food processor and pulse-chop until fine. This seems odd but trust me it works wonderfully.
- Then add the strawberries and puree again. Add the puree to the sugar syrup and cool.
- Churn in an ice-cream machine or freeze in a shallow container, breaking up the sorbet every 30 minutes or so until frozen. This avoids large ice crystals.
This is adapted from a River Cafe recipe and was one we made often in the summer months when I worked there.
If you don’t have an ice cream machine, simply put the sorbet in a freezer-proof container and then give it a whisk up every 20 minutes or so until frozen.