A perfect salad for a hot summer’s day when the tomatoes are at their best and parsley is abundant. There is lots of parsley in this salad so do not be alarmed if this seems odd. It should be very green.
Allspice is traditionally used in the dressing but if you don’t have any, don’t worry just leave it out. It will still be delicious.
As for all salad dressings use the absolute best olive oil you can get.
If you use fine bulgar wheat there is no need to cook it.
Cooking time: 5 minutes
- 80g bulgur wheat
- 400g ripe, sweet tomatoes
- a small bunch spring onions, trimmed and finely sliced
- Large bunch flat leaf parsley ( approximately 150g) wash and dry
- 1 small bunch of mint (approximately 30g) wash and dry
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse the bulgar wheat well and cook if required. This only takes about five minutes. Cool and transfer to a large bowl.
- Cut the tomatoes into small dice and add to the bulgar wheat
- Chop the parsley until fine and add to the bowl.
- Chop the mint finely and add, along with the finely sliced spring onions.
- Make the dressing in a little bowl, whisking the oil, lemon and allspice together with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- When ready to serve pour the dressing over the salad and mix through. Taste to check the seasoning and adjust as required.
Do not be tempted to use curly parsley for this, it would not work well.