What you'll needYou will need a 12-bun muffin tin with muffin paper cases.
- 300g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 25g wheat germ (optional)
- 250g soft brown sugar (or 200g for a healthier option)
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 250ml buttermilk
- 2 small eating apples, coarsely grated
- 1 banana, mashed
- 75g pecans, roughly chopped
- Topping: (optional) 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar mixed with 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Use a large bowl and sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the sugar, wheat germ, apple and pecans (keep a little to sprinkle on top) and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg and mashed banana, milk and oil.
- Add the wet mix to the dry and fold together quickly until just blended but still lumpy. Do Not Over Mix.
- Spoon into the muffin papers and sprinkle the Demerara/cinnamon mix on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer will come out cleanly and the muffins are deep golden brown.
NotesFeel free to add less sugar or to substitute the banana for some grated carrot.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.