Apple, Pecan and Cinnamon Muffins
Servings: Makes 12
Cooking time: Bake for 20-25 minutes
What you'll need
You will need a 12-bun muffin tin with muffin paper cases.
- 300g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 25g wheat germ (optional)
- 250g soft brown sugar (or 200g for a healthier option)
- 80ml sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 250ml buttermilk
- 2 small eating apples, coarsely grated
- 1 banana, mashed
- 75g pecans, roughly chopped
- Topping: (optional) 2 tablespoons Demerara sugar mixed with 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200C/400F.
- Use a large bowl and sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the sugar, wheat germ, apple and pecans (keep a little to sprinkle on top) and mix together.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the egg and mashed banana, milk and oil.
- Add the wet mix to the dry and fold together quickly until just blended but still lumpy. Do Not Over Mix.
- Spoon into the muffin papers and sprinkle the Demerara/cinnamon mix on top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until a skewer will come out cleanly and the muffins are deep golden brown.
Feel free to add less sugar or to substitute the banana for some grated carrot.