Wee Buns Cookery School
What you'll needTwo trays lined with baking paper
- 425g plain flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 335g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 100g hazelnuts (blanched)
- 100g almonds (blanched) roughly chopped
- 60g butter
- 3 eggs and 2 yolks
- 1 orange, zest only
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 160C / 140C fan.
- Place the hazelnuts on a tray roast for 5 – 10 minutes until beginning to go golden. Remove and chop roughly when cool enough.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and soda into a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter then add the sugar, salt, nuts, and orange zest.
- In a little bowl whisk the egg yolks and whole egg together, add the vanilla.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mixture, add the eggs and mix together using a wooden spoon, then use your hand to bring the mixture together. It should not be too wet.
- Divide into two or three portions and on a lightly floured surface, roll into a small log shape.
- Place on the baking tray and put in the oven.
- After about 10 – 15 minutes when the biscotti has expanded a lot, turn the oven up to180C / 160C fan and cook for another 15 – 20 minutes until golden.
- emove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Slide ( do not lift ) onto a board and using a serrated knife cut across the log into individual biscotti.
- Put these back on the baking tray and bake again for about 10 minutes or until golden on each side. Be careful not to over cook.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.