Servings: Serves 6-8
- 1 large head broccoli
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2- 2 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Knob of butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Handful of parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan with the olive oil, add the onion and garlic and potatoes and cook on a gentle heat until the onion is soft and cooked, stir regularly.
- Wash the broccoli, cut the stalk off, peel and cut into chunks, cut the florets into smaller pieces.
- Add the stalk to the onion and potato and cook gently for another 5 minutes.
- Add the hot stock, bring to the boil and simmer gently until the potato is cooked through.
- Add the broccoli florets, continue cooking on a medium/high heat for 4-5 minutes until the broccoli is cooked.
- If using, add the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- Liquidise and taste to check the seasoning and serve.
Best enjoyed with some delicious homemade bread smothered with real butter.