Best Carrot Cake Ever!
What you'll need
You’ll need a 2 x 9″ sandwich tins, buttered and lined.
- 250g self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 4 eggs
- 100g muscovado sugar
- 100g light brown sugar
- 225ml sunflower oil
- zest 1 lemon
- 2 carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- 100g walnuts or pecans roughly chopped
- 100g sultanas
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- pinch salt
Cream Cheese Icing
- 200g soft butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 350g cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 180C / 160C Fan.
- Put the oil and sugars in a food mixer and whisk together just a few minutes to combine.
- Separate two of the eggs, keeping the whites in a clean bowl for whisking.
- Add the other two eggs, one at a time to the food mixer and then the two yolks.
- Add the carrots, coconut, walnuts and lemon zest.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices and fold this in.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff and fold these into the mixture.
- Divide between the two cake tins and bake for about 45 minutes until cooked through.
- Allow to cool completely and then fill and ice the top with the cream cheese icing.
- To make the icing, put the butter and icing sugar in the bowl of a food mixer and beat until light and creamy, then add the cream cheese and beat again to combine.