Servings: Makes 25 cookies
- 340g plain flour sifted
- 135g butter
- 90g dark brown sugar
- 50g runny honey
- 60g treacle
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground all spice
- Royal Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160C / 140C fan
- Put the sugar, honey, treacle and butter in a small pan and place on a low heat stirring all the time until melted.
- Then leave to cool for about 20 minutes.
- Sieve the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and add the spices and then stir in the butter mixture and the egg.
- Mix together until you have a firm, smooth dough
- Chill for about 1 hour until firm enough to roll out.
- Lightly flour your surface and roll the dough to about the thickness of a pound coin.
- Cut out the cookies and place on the baking trays (lined with baking paper)
- Bake in the hot oven for 12- 14 minutes until cooked.
- When cool decorate as desired with royal or glace icing. Royal Icing will set hard and will keep better than glace icing.