Makes 8 – 12 small scones
Wee Buns Cookery School
- 335g Self Raising Soda flour (or Self Raising flour)
- 110g butter (at room temperature)
- 60g caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 5 – 8 fl oz buttermilk
- pinch salt
- Sift the flour into a wide bowl, rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and salt.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and add about half of the buttermilk. Whisk together with a fork.
- Make a well in the flour, add the milk and egg mixture and mix together with your hand until the mixture comes together, adding more milk if necessary. It should be very soft and a bit sticky.
- Turn out onto a well floured surface and knead lightly just to bring the dough together.
- Press down a little and cut into rounds using the cutter and placing on the baking sheet as you go.
- Brush the tops with buttermilk and sprinkle with a little flour.
- Bake in the hot oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
NotesThe key to light scones is to keep the mixture quite wet and don’t knead it as such, just bring it together quickly and lightly and then flatten it a little but keep it about as deep as the scone cutter. For fruit scones, add a small handful of currants to the flour mixture before adding the milk.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.