Classic Victoria Sponge with Homemade Jam and Buttercream
What you'll need
2 x 8” sandwich tins, buttered and lined.
- 8oz self-raising flour
- 8oz caster sugar
- 8oz very soft butter
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Small pinch salt
- 6oz butter (soft)
- 6oz icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Jam
- Preheat oven 180C conventional or 160C fan
- Using a food mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
- Add the salt and vanilla.
- Then begin adding the eggs (break each egg into a little bowl first) one at a time and beat until each egg is incorporated before adding the next
- If the mixture starts to curdle, beat in a little of the flour.
- Sift in the flour and fold in using a large metal spoon.
- Divide between the cake tins. Make a little dip in the centre.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and the top springs back.
- Do NOT open the oven until almost cooked or your cake will collapse.
- Leave a few minutes, then remove from tins and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the buttercream beat together the icing sugar and butter until light and fluffy, add the vanilla if using.
- When cold, place on a plate, generously spread jam on one layer, then add a generous layer of buttercream and put the second layer on top. Put another layer of buttercream on the top to finish.
Sugar Syrup (optional)
100g sugar, 100ml water.
Dissolve the sugar in the water over a medium heat. Add flavourings as required – lemon juice, orange juice or vanilla.