Wee Buns Cookery School
What you'll need2 x 8 inch sandwich tins.
- 8oz self-raising flour
- 8oz caster sugar
- 8oz very soft butter
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250ml double cream
Sugar Syrup (optional)
- 100g sugar
- 100ml water
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160 fan.
- Butter and line 2 x 8 inch sandwich tins.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl.
- Add the sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla and using an electric whisk, beat for a minute or two until smooth. The mixture should be a soft dropping consistency, where it will slowly fall off a wooden spoon. Do NOT overbeat or your cake will be tough.
- Divide between the two tins and smooth the top making a slight dip in the centre.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and the top springs back.
- Do NOT open the oven until almost cooked or your cake will collapse.
- Leave a few minutes, then remove from tins, if using, brush each sponge with sugar syrup and cool on a wire rack.
- Whip the cream with a little icing sugar.
- When cold, place on a plate, generously spread jam on one layer, then cover with the cream and put the second layer on top. Sprinkle the top with icing sugar.,
- Sugar Syrup (optional) - Dissolve the sugar in the water over a medium heat. Add flavourings as required – lemon juice, orange juice or vanilla.
NotesYou can easily adjust the recipe according to tin size. Always use equal quantities of flour, sugar and butter and half that quantity of eggs. Use half an egg if need be (for a 5oz mix use 2 ½ eggs), just whisk the egg and add half to the mix. 6” cake tin – use 4oz mix 7” cake tin – use 6oz mix 9” cake tin – use 9oz or 10oz mix
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.