Wee Buns Cookery School
What you'll need2 x 9” sandwich tins buttered and lined
- 200g dark chocolate
- 250g soft butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g light brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225ml buttermilk
- 300g self raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 25g cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 8oz soft butter
- 8oz icing sugar
- 150g caster sugar
- 50 ml water
- 100 ml whipping cream
- 40g butter
- pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 160C fan.
- Break up the chocolate, place in a little bowl and melt gently over a pan of simmering water. Then remove from the heat and cool a little.
- Cream the butter with both sugars until light and fluffy, then add the eggs one at a time until all incorporated.
- Add the melted chocolate to the mixture.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate together and add half of this to the cake mixture, lightly beat it in.
- Add the milk and beat lightly until mixed in.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and gently fold it in.
- Divide between the tins and bake for 45- 50 minutes until cooked through. A skewer should come out clean
- Leave to cool for a while on a wire rack and when cool enough to handle turn out of the cake tins and leave to cool completely.
- To make the caramel, put the sugar and water in a little pan and stir to dissolve over a gentle heat, then turn the heat up high and boil rapidly until it reaches a deep golden colour.
- Take off the heat and carefully pour in the cream , it will bubble up rapidly .
- Stir in the butter and salt to taste.
- To make the buttercream, first make the caramel and allow it to cool.
- Beat the butter and icing sugar until light and fluffy and the beat in the caramel to taste. 1 -2 tablespoons approximately.
- When cold ice the cake in the middle with the buttercream and on the top and sides.
NotesThe salted caramel icing can be replaced with chocolate ganache buttercream icing if you prefer.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.