Servings: Makes 12 large or 24 small buns
Cooking time: 30 minutes
What you'll need
12 hole bun tray
- 110g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 100g buttermilk or natural yogurt
- 50g sunflower oil
- 110g hot water
- Tiny pinch salt
- 125g Soft butter
- 125g Icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Small Chocolate chips or silver balls to decorate
- Heat oven to 180C / 160C Fan
- Sieve the dry ingredients together into a large bowl.
- Break the egg into another bowl and add the buttermilk, oil and hot water and mix well together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and whisk together until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into a jug ( it is a wet mixture ) and fill the bun cases two thirds full.
- Bake for 10 - 15 minutes ( or a bit longer for larger buns ) until set.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, whisk together the icing sugar, butter and vanilla until really light and fluffy.
- Then using piping bag and plain nozzle pipe the icing onto the buns. Keeping it in the centre and tall. Just use a spoon if you don’t have a piping bag.
- Decorate with chocolate chips or silver balls for eyes