Makes 12 – 13 jars
Wee Buns Cookery School
- 5lbs gooseberries (slightly under ripe)
- 5lbs granulated sugar
- 1 ½ pints water
- About 5-6 elderflower heads washed and tied up in muslin.
- Top and tail the gooseberries and wash well.
- Put in a preserving pan (lightly buttered), add the water, elderflowers and simmer gently until completely soft – approx. 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile warm the sugar in a low oven.
- Add the sugar, stir until dissolved and then boil rapidly for 8 minutes.
- This jam sets quickly. Remove from the heat. Test for a set and boil again if necessary. Boil for 1 minute at a time.
- The jam turns a nice pink colour the longer it is boiled but be careful not to boil for too long or it will be too solid.
- Remove the elderflowers and pot and seal.
NotesIf you can't find any elderflowers near you it will be equally delicious without.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.