Gooseberry and Elderflower Jam
Servings: Makes 12 – 13 jars
- 5lbs gooseberries (slightly under ripe)
- 5lbs granulated sugar
- 1 ½ pints water
- About 5-6 elderflower heads washed and tied up in muslin.
- Top and tail the gooseberries and wash well.
- Put in a preserving pan (lightly buttered), add the water, elderflowers and simmer gently until completely soft – approx. 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile warm the sugar in a low oven.
- Add the sugar, stir until dissolved and then boil rapidly for 8 minutes.
- This jam sets quickly. Remove from the heat. Test for a set and boil again if necessary. Boil for 1 minute at a time.
- The jam turns a nice pink colour the longer it is boiled but be careful not to boil for too long or it will be too solid.
- Remove the elderflowers and pot and seal.
If you can’t find any elderflowers near you it will be equally delicious without.