Wee Buns Cookery School
What you'll need8" square cake tin with deep sides or an 8" round tin with deep sides
- 4oz self-raising flour
- 1oz cocoa powder
- 5oz very soft butter
- 5oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs small or medium
Chocolate Ganache Buttercream
- 4oz very soft butter
- 1oz good quality dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 4oz icing sugar, sifted
- 1 box chocolate fingers or chocolate match sticks
- 2 small chocolate cookies bashed into fine crumbs
- 3 or 4 small shortbread biscuits
- red or black piping icing
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Line and butter 1 x 8 inch square tin or use an 8” round tin with deep sides.
- Sift the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl.
- Add the butter, eggs and sugar and using an electric whisk, beat until well combined. Do not over beat.
- Put the mixture into the tin and level out.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until cooked (should feel firm and spring back in the centre). Do not open the oven for at least 20-25 minutes or your cake will collapse!
- Remove from oven and after about 5 minutes, remove from the tins and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the filling, gently melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and allow to cool slightly.
- Add the cream and mix in.
- Meanwhile beat the butter and icing sugar until fluffy and smooth, (this will take at least 5 minutes) then add the chocolate mixture and beat again until smooth.
- place the cake upside down on a board or plate.
- Ice the top and sides with the buttercream.
- Randomly stick the chocolate fingers or matchsticks around the sides to create a fence.
- Ice spooky letters or crosses on the shortbread biscuits.
- Sprinkle the crushed cookies over the top ( this is the soil ).
- Make a little slit with a knife and stick the iced shortbread biscuits into the top at random.
NotesThis cake will well for up to a week.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.