Servings: Makes 25 cookies
- 250g plain flour sifted (plus a little more if needed)
- 95g butter
- 75g light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Royal Icing sugar to decorate
- Preheat oven to 180C / 160C fan
- Put the sugar, golden syrup and water in a small pan and bring to the boil stirring all the time.
- Add the butter and bicarbonate of soda and stir until well combined and the butter melted.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and then stir in the hot butter mixture. Mix together until you have a firm, smooth dough. If it seems a bit soft add a little more flour.
- Chill for about 20 minutes until firm enough to roll out.
- Lightly flour your surface and roll the dough to about the thickness of a pound coin.
- Cut out the cookies and place on the baking trays (lined with baking paper).
- Bake in the hot oven for 7 – 10 minutes until lightly golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- When cool, decorate as desired with royal or glace icing.