Lemon Poppyseed Cake
What you'll need
1 lined loaf tin 27cm x 9cm
- 8oz soft butter
- 8oz caster sugar
- 8oz self raising flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 lemons zest only
- Pinch salt
- 50ml water
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 lemon
- 200g icing sugar
- Lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C / 160C fan.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the zest of two lemons.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time making sure each one is throughly combined before adding the next.
- Sift in the flour and fold in gently using a large metal spoon.
- Fold in the poppy seeds and spoon the mixture into the cake tin.
- Bake for about 45 – 60 minutes or until springy on top and a skewer comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make the syrup by dissolving the sugar and water together and then add lemon juice to taste. It should taste quite lemony.
- Pour over about 2 tablespoons of the the lemon syrup and leave to cool.
- To make the icing mix the icing sugar with lemon juice until you have a nice icing consistency.
- Spread generously over the top and leave to set.
The poppyseeds and lemon syrup keep the cake moist while the tangy lemon icing adds sharpness.