This is a great recipe for getting the whole family involved. I have fond memories of helping my mother shell peas as a child.
And now that I’m a mother myself to two boys, there’s nothing I like better than getting them up at the counter with me armed with bowls to help prepare the peas for the soup. Of course, the odd pea or two might not make it into the bowl as both boys love to eat them straight from the pod.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 250g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1-11/2 litres chicken or vegetable stock
- 300g spinach, wash and remove tough stalks
- 300g peas
- Salt and pepper
- Small bunch parsley or mint
- Use a heavy-bottomed saucepan on a medium heat, add oil and melt butter, then add chopped onions, potatoes and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sweat over a low heat for about 10-15 minutes until the onions are cooked, stirring occasionally.
- Add the hot stock and simmer slowly until the potatoes are cooked.
- Add the peas, simmer for 5 minutes, then add the spinach, cook for 2 minutes, turn off the heat and add the chopped herbs.
- Liquidise, check seasoning and serve in warm bowls.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.