Wee Buns Cookery School
- 1 butternut squash or pumpkin
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 350g risotto rice
- 1 medium red onion finely chopped
- ½ head of celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 glass dry white wine or dry white vermouth (optional)
- Approx 1.1 litre/2 pints chicken stock
- 40-50g butter
- 120g parmesan, freshly grated
- Preheat oven to 190C
- Peel the squash and remove the seeds and fibre from the centre.
- Cut into chunks and season with salt, pepper and sprinkle with a little olive oil.
- Place on a baking tray, cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes or until soft, remove the foil about 10 minutes before the end to allow the squash to colour a little.
- Heat the chicken stock until simmering.
- In another pan heat the olive oil, add the onion, celery and chopped garlic and saute slowly for about 10 minutes or until soft, now add the rice and turn up the heat
- Stir the rice in, season with salt and pepper then add the wine or vermouth and stir until it is all absorbed.
- Add a ladle of hot stock and simmer, stirring regularly until the stock is absorbed.
- Continue adding ladlefuls of hot stock as it is absorbed and stirring until the rice is cooked but has a little bite.
- Add the pumpkin and stir into the rice. It should dissolve into the rice completely.
- To finish add the butter and parmesan, taste to check the seasoning and serve with some freshly grated parmesan on top.
NotesBest if you can get a really nice squash with a deep orange flesh like the onion squash or the green skinned crown prince both available at St. Georges Market.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.