Wee Buns Cookery School
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Small bunch of fresh marjoram leaves
- 1.5kg pumpkin, peeled, seeded and diced
- 200g new potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 diced red chillies, crumbled
- 1 litre chicken stock
- Freshly grated parmesan
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil and butter in a saucepan and gently fry the chopped garlic with the marjoram leaves until soft.
- Add the pumpkin and potatoes, and continue to cook for a minute. Add the chilies and season well with sea salt and black pepper.
- Pour in enough stock just to cover the pumpkin. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender, adding more stock if necessary to keep the pumpkin covered.
- Strain about a third of the stock from the pumpkin and set aside.
- Pour the contents of the pan into a food processor and pulse: the mixture should be very thick.
- Return to the saucepan and add the strained-off stock plus any remaining stock. Check for seasoning. The soup will be very thick. Reheat gently for serving.
- Serve soup with Parmesan, and extra virgin olive oil.
NotesLook out for unusual pumpkins like Crown Prince which has a blue/green skin and deep orange flesh or the onion squash both of which are lovely for cooking.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.