Makes 8 – 9 small scones
Wee Buns Cookery School
- 175g Soda bread flour or self raising flour
- 25g Butter at room temperature
- 35g soft brown or caster sugar
- 1 small egg
- 75 – 150ml buttermilk
- 2 -3 small sticks of rhubarb
- 1 ball stem ginger, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 200C and line a baking with greaseproof paper or dust with flour.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and then rub in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Wash, dry and finely chop the rhubarb and add to the flour along with the ginger and sugar, mix all together.
- Whisk the egg with 75ml of the buttermilk, make a well in the flour and add this to the mixture.
- Using a wooden spoon or your hand bring the mixture together, adding more buttermilk if necessary.
- You want a soft dough, not too wet or too dry.
- Turn out onto a well floured surface and very gently knead (just bringing the mixture together without really applying pressure) a few times until you have a smooth ball when you turn it over.
- Roll out just a little until approximately the depth of the cutter. About 1 inch.
- Then cut out, place on the baking tray, brush the tops with some buttermilk and dust with flour.
- Bake on the top shelf for 10-12 minutes until golden and well risen.
- Transfer to a rack to cool.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.