Make the most of lovely local rhubarb with this delicious and easy Rhubarb Crumble. It’s a firm family favourite in our house.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
What you'll need
1.1 lt ovenproof baking dish
- 700g Rhubarb
- 55g caster or demerara sugar
- 125g self raising flour
- 80g ground almonds (optional)
- 130g cold butter
- 25g oats (optional)
- 100g soft brown sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Wash and dry the rhubarb and cut it into 2cm pieces. Then place in the baking dish, don't worry if it comes up almost to the top. The whole thing shrinks down on cooking.
- Sprinkle over the sugar and place in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the rhubarb is just starting to soften a little.
- To make the crumble topping sieve the flour into a wide bowl, add the butter and rub in with your fingertips. Keep it quite coarse for a lovely texture.
- Then add the oats, almonds, sugar and cinnamon and mix in.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the rhubarb. Don't press it down.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes until the crumble is a lovely golden colour and the rhubarb is bubbling around the edges.
- Serve with custard, ice cream or pouring cream.
You can easily leave out the oats if you don’t have any to hand. Likewise the almonds if someone has a nut allergy. Or you can substitute the almonds for toasted chopped-up hazelnuts.