Wee Buns Cookery School
- 350ml whole milk
- 250ml double cream
- 1 vanilla pod
- 6 egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 500g rhubarb
- 90g caster sugar
- For the best flavour use organic milk and free range eggs.
- Place the cream and milk in a heavy based saucepan. Cut the vanilla pod in half lengthways and scrape out the seeds, add these and the pod to the pan.
- Slowly heat until scorching point is reached (where the mixture is just about to boil). Remove from the heat and allow to infuse for 5-10minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the rhubarb into smallish pieces and lay flat in a baking dish. Sprinkle the sugar on top and cover with foil and bake at 180 º C for about 20 – 30 minutes or until completely soft.
- Allow to cool and puree or blitz.
- Then push the mixture through a sieve and leave to cool.
- In another bowl whisk the egg yolks with the 100g of caster sugar, just to combine, then pour over the hot milk mixture, whisking as you go.
- Return the mixture to the pan and over a low-medium heat stir constantly until the custard thickens just enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- This will take about 5 minutes or so. Be careful not to over cook the custard.
- Immediately remove from the heat , pass through a sieve into a clean bowl and leave to cool.
- Add the rhubarb puree, mix well and churn in an ice cream machine.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.