Wee Buns Cookery School
What you'll need2 x 8” sandwich tins ( or 2 x 7” ) greased and lined
- 3oz plain flour
- 3 eggs
- Pinch salt
- 4 ½ oz caster sugar
- 250ml double or single cream
- Fresh fruit – strawberries or raspberries
- Sugar syrup and fresh orange juice
- Jam (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Break the eggs into bowl of a food mixer, add the sugar and whisk for about 5 -10 minutes until thick and mousse-like.
- When dropped from the whisk it will make a ‘ribbon’ on top of the mix.
- Sift the flour and salt onto this mixture and lightly fold in.
- Pour into the tin and bake for about 30 – 35 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.
- If the cake is getting too dark, cover with a piece of tin foil for the last ten minutes. Do not open the oven for at least 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and remove from the tin while still warm.
- Mix about 2 tablespoons of sugar syrup with 1 – 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice and brush generously over each cake.
- Fill generously with whipped cream and fruit and a layer of jam if using.
- Sprinkle icing sugar on top and serve.
- This cake does not keep well and is best eaten on the same day.
NotesTo make a chocolate cake use 2oz plain flour and 1 oz cocoa powder. This sponge is best eaten on the day it is made.
Did you make this recipe?
We’d love to see your work.
Tag @wee_buns on Instagram.