Tomato and Basil Soup
Servings: 4 - 6
- 1.5 kg fresh tomatoes
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- handful fresh basil, oregano or marjoram
- olive oil
- 800 ml - 1 litre water
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C
- Cut the tomatoes in half, remove the core and squeeze out most of the seeds.
- Place on a roasting tray with some torn up basil leaves and marjoram or oregano, season with salt and pepper, a teaspoon of sugar and a good drizzle of olive oil.
- Roast for 40 minutes – 1 hour until soft and starting to colour.
- Meanwhile in a pan cook the onions with the garlic slowly in a little olive oil until soft and a little coloured, when ready add the cooked tomatoes with the juices and then the water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and then blend until fine in a blender and if you like it really smooth (as I do) pass it through a sieve.
- Check the seasoning again and serve with a drizzle of really good extra virgin olive oil and some fresh basil leaves.
- Can serve with freshly grated parmesan or homemade pesto if desired.